Friday, December 4, 2009

It's Only Right


I've said a lot of things about Allen Iverson, some good and some bad. What people may not know is that the guy is one of my favorite players. I moved to Hampton, the birthplace of "Bubbachuck", in 1994. His senior year at Bethel High School. You couldn't escape the buzz that surrounded this kid if you tried. Everywhere you went, you heard about this standout high school athlete (he was a good football player, as well) that was on his way to Georgetown University under the guidance of the great John Thompson. A 'local hero' doesn't sum up what he meant and still means to kids here. He's one of the face's of Virginia sports. Unfortunately, at times, he's also been the face of a string of controversial athletes that have come out of Virginia.

The disappointment I've expressed in regards to Allen Iverson has never come from a bad place. I just want to see the man succeed. Over the last 15 years, I've watched him morph from an immature kid into a Hall of Fame NBA legend. The road has been bumpy at times, but he's emerged at a respectable man.

Yesterday's press conference in Philadelphia was definitely one of those full circle moments. It was an emotional day for Allen and understandably so. Here's the place where A.I. carved his path and enshrined himself as one of the true legends of the game actually bringing him back. And we're not talking about any old sports city. We're talking Philadelphia. Where the athletes who receive unconditional love from the fans in that city are far in between. When Allen goes to Denver, its "good move, but can he share with Carmelo." When he goes to Detroit, its "I'm not sure about this. How does he fit into this well oiled machine?" When he goes to Memphis, "I don't see how this works. They already have two young guards." In Philadelphia, he's welcomed back with open arms. As a fan, I'm glad to see it.

I do want him to win a ring before he hangs it up, but how do you blame a man who wants to win as a starter? Instead of trying to latch on to a contender late in his career. He may not always go about things the right way, but his intentions are commendable.

No comments: