Friday, January 22, 2010

The End Of An Era...sort of...


For the last 15 years, I've been a regular watcher of Conan O'Brien's late night shows. I can't say I've never missed an episode, but I've tuned in for the vast majority of them. The man is a genius and one of the few people who can consistently generate laughs from me. I know taking over the Tonight Show was a big deal to him. He values the prestige of the franchise - and represented it as well as anybody could have asked him to. This whole situation with Leno is truly unfortunate and essentially robs Conan of what was his dream job. The blame falls mainly on the NBC execs, who are screwing Conan out of a gig because of bad choices they made. I also shift some towards Leno, as I'm a firm believer that you don't pass the torch...and ask for it back. It remains to be seen what will happen to Conan. Most people have him landing his own show on Fox. Which, in the end, may work out for the best as it would probably allow Conan to bring back the edgy comedy that he toned down for the Tonight Show. Whatever the case, I hope we see him back on television more sooner than later. Complete with Andy, Max, La Bamba, and everything that makes his show the most solid late night watch.

And if you didn't know, I ride for Team CoCo.

Happy trails, you strange, red-haired genius, you.

No comments: