Saturday, August 22, 2009

Just In Case You Didn't Know, I LOVE The Wire


So I'm sitting here at the ol' PC tonight - and it dawns on me that I'd like to Youtube the theme song from the fourth season of "The Wire." I click play and prepare to enjoy its dopeness. First note kicks in. And it happens. I get overwhelmed with emotion. YES. EMOTION. I'm sitting here sad as fuck that this show just doesn't exist anymore. Not just "oh gee golly, wish they still showed that" emotion. But rather some "please don't act like a bitch and cry" emotion. That's how important it was to me. That's the way I connected to the show. The characters. The themes. The writing. Just fucking hour long, raw uncut Colombian TV drama coke.

I actually think I'm going through the stages of grieving with this show. First, I was in denial. In my mind, the show was so ill, that there was no way HBO wasn't going to re-up for one more season. Next, I felt anger towards HBO for actually canceling this brilliance. And towards stupid ass people who spent their Sunday Nights watching inferior bullshit. Then, I indulged in a little bargaining. Simply letting God know that I need this show in my life and I'll become a better man if I get it back. That shit ain't work either. Now, I believe I'm in the fourth stage. Straight up depression. Just sad ass, can't live with this, missing 'The Wire' depression. The problem is - I don't see myself reaching that fifth stage anytime soon. This is why. I love that the show never had a chance to jump shark. I love that I'm not like some Simpson fan, clinging to a show that was last good about 10 years ago. At the same time, I just fuckin miss it. I just miss it. Nevertheless, thank you David Simon for being the mind behind the greatest television show that will ever grace my screen. I am forever in your debt. I can't ever imagine there will be anything quite like it.

PS - I hate even seeing actors from The Wire playing new roles. I like to remember them as they were. Shit was real to me!

No comments: