Friday, August 14, 2009

Vick Lands On His Feet


How does one report this story? A feel good story? A celebration? An injustice? No matter how you report it, Michael Vick getting his second chance by signing two-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles is undoubtedly the story of the day. And as expected, the feelings regarding his return to the gridiron have been mixed. Some are happy to see him bounce back. Some aren't a fan of him as a person, but like the news as fans of the game. Some are just downright disappointed. I fall into the category of people who are happy to see him bounce back. Don't get me wrong; I know the severity of what he did. I'm what they'd call a "dog lover" myself. My dog is my world. Damn near a child to me. I'd do unimaginable things to anybody who did harm to him. Saying that, I'd like to believe that if I ever did anything wrong, people would be willing to give me a second shot at life as well. I know I'm not flawless (I know, hard to believe, but I'm not). I'm not above a careless mistake. Or even a mistake that I'm fully aware of. I don't believe anybody is. Michael did his time. He'll serve whatever suspension Goodell has in place for him - and it'll be time for the detractors to let it go.

Furthermore, whether people like it or not, Michael Vick is one of the most looked up to athletes in sports. Kids love him. What an opportunity for MV7 to really step into that role. As a guy that children should actually be proud to look up to. And hopefully in the process, they discover Tony Dungy and look up to him too.

No comments: